Some of you might know I gave birth to Sophia Elizabeth Rooney in February! It was an amazing/crazy birth story after being given a stomach flu and moving within two weeks! Needless to say, we didn’t know if we were going to be able to do anything special in terms of photos. Not only did we get in a shoot at the hospital we did the cutest newborn shoot with Patty Othon.
Tips to make your newborn shoot a success:
- Not all photographers are created equal – make sure you hire someone who is amazing with newborns. Its already an emotional time (even if its not your first baby), so you want your newborn in good hands. I could not have had a better experience with Patty.
- Come prepared – do your homework on the pictures you want to capture and props you might want to use. Sometimes poses may not be possible based on the way your baby is feeling that day! Bring outfits just in case the photographer doesn’t have enough choices (if any). My photographer had AMAZING amounts of baby-wear all color coded and hanging beautifully on the wall. It was clean and ready to go!
- Make sure the room is heated nicely. My photographer knew to make a toasty fire in the fireplace. She even greeted us with fresh baked cookies and Netflix for my husband. toasty baby makes for sleepy baby.
- Feed your baby and make sure they are in a good mood. I know this sounds impossible but I pumped some milk and put it in a bottle for Patty to give to Sophia. When she didn’t take that, I nursed her and she went right to sleep for most of the shoot.
- Don’t fret! If you have done these steps, I can assure you that your newborn shoot will be a memorable experience and the photos will be priceless!